Saturday, November 29, 2014

Saturday sunshine


I was inspired to write this after reading Sakshi’s post on the winter sun. Her thoughts probed me and took me back to those days of abandon, soaking in the December sun as I sat on the terrace lined with pots of marigold flowers.

I remember those folding cots that droop from the center like a hammock on overuse. Sprawled on a new tightly knotted cot with my back towards the sun, hair wet from the late shower (because mom said no lunch until I take a bath) and a small rectangular book of Mental Math under my shadow as I bend down to work on those sums . . . Mental Math and sun’s warm embrace would put me to sleep, before I could have lunch. I miss those days, now when I dig into that memory box. Smell of naphthalene balls, colorful balls of wool for a new sweater (and how sweater designs would be copied and discussed at length by the aunties), practicing Christmas carols in school, wearing blazers to school, playing pranks by switching on the fan, cracking groundnuts and having them with a pinch of rock salt, the pseudo smoking by blowing in the air, blinding fog and the car headlights . . . Winter has a lot of childhood memories.

I had not realized I missed the childhood winter till I did it again today – bask in the sun. I dragged a mattress to my living room near the balcony which was filled with sunshine. Shivering only slightly from the hot shower, I sat with my back towards the sun and took out the bag of groundnuts. I was as happy as that ten year old kid on the folding cot. If only the ten year old me knew that that was happiness, right there that moment when I was sulking about Mental Math.

After eating those groundnuts, I started reading a book that was delivered the previous day (oh the joy!), slowly stretching my legs and beginning to lie down. The sun felt great on my back pain (ha! The perils of growing up), my hair had begun to dry in parts as I ruffled them up, and I was just about to fall into a sweet siesta when my mom called up. I was reminded that I had to go grocery shopping and then make lunch. My childhood reverie broke right then, as I realized that THIS moment also will not come ever again. Right then my only worry was about cooking my next meal (leaving aside the existential conundrums :P). A few years down the line, I would long for a moment like this – an idle Saturday under the sun with a book.

I don’t want to grow up.

11 comments:

  1. Stand out piece love ! The best you've written for quite sometime... You must have been really inspired when you wrote this. Either that or you were high on the sun... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your comment was a great start to my Sunday morning :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea I could inspire such a beautiful post with such soul-stirring emotions. So happy to have read this, S. I also see how you DP here is so apt, I had to go back to check if there was a place of groundnuts near it. :D
    No moment comes again. Only its semblance does, if at all.
    Good to have come by. Lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to see you here :) And such lovely things you had to say, you are very kind with your words. Thank you.

      Delete
  4. I dont want to grow up too... An very sweet post...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Locomente :) We are all becoming peter pans!

      Delete
  5. Miss being a child...
    As i read Ua posts , I was seeing flashbacks of my childhood...!!!
    Well written..!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Childhood has its own problems! And growing up has its perks too :)
      I am glad you could revisit your childhood with the post. Thanks for visiting, Akshitha.

      Delete
  6. Sadly, there are no winters in Bombay :P
    Awesome post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You miss your life in Gurgawa, don't you? First the autowallahs and now the winters :P

      Delete
    2. Also the accent. No other language can make even basic conversation like" How are you" (actual translation: Kee Haal sey, Tau?) sound creepier than Haryanvi

      Delete

I love hand-written notes :)